• 4 chicken leg quarters, skinned and cut into thighs and drumsticks
• handful fresh basil
• 8 thin rashers smoked streaky bacon
• 1 tsp vegetable or sunflower oil
• 2 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced thickly at an angle
• 200ml/7fl oz chicken stock
• 200g/7oz frozen garden peas
Season the chicken with black pepper, put one basil leaf on top of each piece, then wrap tightly with a rasher of bacon. Tuck the bacon into itself to stop it unraveling. Heat the oil in a large shallow casserole or frying pan. Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes on each side until the bacon is golden. Remove to a plate. Add the leeks to the pan and soften in the bacon juices for 5 minutes. Return the chicken pieces, basil-side up, pour in the stock, then cover the pan and simmer for 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Tear half of the basil into the sauce, stir in the peas, then simmer for a few more minutes until the peas are tender and bright. Check the seasoning then scatter the rest of the basil over the dish. Serve with mashed potatoes or crusty bread.