Baked meaty flan with peanuts.
Yes, I know that sounds odd but it’s a variation on a Joscelyn Dimbleby recipe that’s really good. She uses minced lamb where I’ve used the cheaper beef option and I’ve substituted posh pine nuts with peanuts. It works out really well. Honest.
- 1 large pack mince (they’re about 440-500g)
- 1 cup or 170g/6oz bulghur (cracked wheat)
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- Spices (whatever you have. I used the old favourites of paprika, fennel, chilli with a bit of cinnamon.
- Handful of salted peanuts.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas4
- Soak the bulghur in lots of cold water for 20mins, then drain and squeeze dry.
- Chop the onion finel
- Mix everything together – meat, bulghur, egg, spices, onion, salt.
- Squash it all into a cake tin or flan dish.
- Scatter the peanuts over the top, press them into the meat and throw it in the oven for 40 minutes
And yes, I know I call it bulghar and not burghar but I’m an old Middle Easterner.