If you’re going to cook economically then it’s always best to fill your oven instead of just cooking one dish.This morning I made ‘Jackie’s mum’s bacon hotpot’ which fed 4 of us for lunch and cost less than £2 for the whole thing. It’s one of those delicious, more-ish meals that is almost too good to be true.
- 1 pack Cooking bacon
- 3 or 4 Large potatoes
- 2 Medium onions
- White pepper
- Butter or vegetable oil for greasing.
Pre heat the oven for 5 mins to Gas 4/180c.
- Grease a deep ovenproof dish; if it doesn’t have a lid you’ll need some foil to cover.
- Slice potatoes and lay on bottom if dish. Sprinkle with white pepper but do NOT salt.
- Lay on the bacon pieces (trimming if there’s way too much fat) and onions.
- Continue layering and end with a potato layer. Dot with butter or dribble a little oil over.
- Cover with ovenproof lid or foil and bake for an hour until soft when tested with a knife.
- Uncover, turn up heat to 220C/ Gas 8 and bake for a further 10mins until top is browned. Or you can grill it.
For the chicken:
- 1 Medium chicken
- 3 Cups Basics rice
- 5 Cups water
- Any spices you like
- Place the Chicken in a casserole or tin with enough room for the rice around the sides.
- Sprinkle chicken and rice with salt and spices. I used garlic powder, paprika and celery salt.
- Pop it in the oven with the bacon hotpot and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Check it’s ready by pulling the leg away from the body. It should come away easily and there should be no blood.
- Fluff up the rice before serving. There should be some delicious crispy bits of rice around the edges.