Smoked Mackerel – Super cheap fishy on a dishy.
Today’s lunch was a bit more successful that yesterday’s disaster and I fed 5 people a proper meal for under £3. That’s less than 60p each.
- Pack of Basics smoked mackerel
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 onion
- Quarter sweetheart cabbage – any bits of veg will do.
- 1 Lemon or a squirt of the Jiff stuff
- Bit of butter or oil for dressing potatoes.
- Boil potatoes without salt as mackerel is salty enough
- Lightly fry chopped onion and cabbage (or courgettes/spinach etc)
- Skin and flake mackerel.
- Drain potatoes when cooked, add veg and mackerel. Mix in a knob of butter or splash of oil and serve with lemon wedges (or with a squirt of Jiff)